Racing the BITD Vegas to Reno

  Rob Shoffner   Jul 22, 2011   Team WP Racing   0 Comment

Words by Jason Roy

DSC 6773 300x199 Racing the BITD Vegas to RenoWell what do you know? An adventure at home…

When our team heard that the Terrible’s Primm 300 wouldn’t be running in August we were quick to make the decision to push up a week and run with the Best in the Desert series at the Vegas to Reno. This of course means that we have one less week to prep the car and get ready to race.

After sending the car to be stripped and repainted, we began our prep by rebuilding some drivetrain parts. The front end received new brake rotors, calipers, and pads. The knuckles got new ball joints, new unit bearings and the shafts got new U-Joints. We also rebuilt our front bump stops, added an inch of travel to them, and upped the nitrogen pressure in them as they looked to be bottoming out.

DSC 6802 300x199 Racing the BITD Vegas to Reno

At this point, it was time to send the car over to Seubert Machining to have the other half of the team tackle some prep work too. Over there, Rob jumped in and fixed leaks, rebuilt motor mounts, labeled switches, fixed every wallowed out suspension mounting hole, changed fluids and installed new side windows. He also had all 4 of our drivelines rebuilt and installed our new Hella Twin Super Tone Horns.

DSC 6777 300x199 Racing the BITD Vegas to Reno
DSC 6800 300x199 Racing the BITD Vegas to Reno
Recently the car came back to us and we began more prep. Welding some of Rob’s new mounts went first. While his mounts did press in tight, we did choose to lay some heavy tack welds to keep them from spinning out of place during racing. We also re-gusseted some worn mounting brackets. Early on we found that the skid plate on the bottom of our Currie 9″ rear end had some damage, so we welded in a new skid as well. Our primo welder, Joe Hope handled all of the welding with excellent finesse.

DSC 6779 300x199 Racing the BITD Vegas to Reno

Last Wednesday, Randy and myself began eliminating some more of the details. Axle breathers replaced and moved to good locations along with a valve cover catch can breather system that made sense were installed. The AC pump was relieved of duty and a bypass pulley was installed with a new belt. The cork valve cover gasket was removed, and a nice Fel-Pro rubber gasket was installed. We dropped the suspension once more and installed our freshly rebuilt bump stops. Randy dove into the car, removed the driver seat and installed the new Optima batteries. We ended up very happy that he removed the seat; when he did a cracked mount was found.

DSC 6804 300x199 Racing the BITD Vegas to Reno

Everyone on the team has already put out tons of effort and the car is developing by leaps and bounds. We hope to have all of the major repairs and prep done soon so that the first week of August we can send it to PDX Wraps to have all of our decal work done.

Stay tuned to www.warriorproducts.com/racing for even more news. My next Adventure will take me to the Jeeper’s Jamboree on the Rubicon Trail next week so watch here for some great event coverage and videos from our Media Maniac, Rob Shoffner!

About Rob Shoffner

Internet Coordinator Warrior Products

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

x
Loading...